Thursday 15 January 2015

3D

I have been thinking for a while for the most interesting way to display my motifs within prints, as I don't want to get stuck in boring repetitive styles, so I have found looking at non-textiles artists a really good way to come up with innovative ideas. 


Left: Joseph Cornell, Right: own design.

It has been mentioned a few times about adding shadows and authentic labelling onto my designs to help make my 3D tablet drawings stand out, so I looked at Joseph Cornell's Shadow Boxes as he combines different objects in a collector's format. I found this helped influence the print above as it helped me get my head around where to place shadows to introduce perspective in my work.


Left: image from book, 'How to Wrap Five Eggs', Right: own design.

In some prints I want to use traditional looking formats to show motifs, such as shelves and cabinets, but I also wanted some more interesting ways to show my work. I was recommended to look at 'How To Wrap Five Eggs', a book on Chinese wrapping, which gave me plenty of different ideas for showing objects together, and led to this macrame inspired print above. Looking at unusual inspiration has helped me to look at my motifs in a non-traditional way, which in turn has inspired me to create much more varied work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment