Thursday 13 September 2012

Making the kite

As I wanted my kite to be practical, I chose rip-stop nylon as my base fabric as it is showerproof and easy to work with. I also wanted to involve a recycling element (hence the plastic), which ties in well to the rebirth theme I chose. To make the kite shape, I made my own newspaper pattern to work from, based on the kites I tested in my research.


I decided that machine stitch and hand embroidery would be best for the details in the design with carrier bags to add small accents of colour to the face. To give texture to the hair and clouds, I took my own photographs and used iron-on transfers to add them to fabric.


To create the iconography style sun rays, I ironed plastic bags in different layers before sewing them onto the kite, giving them a new lease of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment