Sunday 22 January 2012

Statement


Here I have presented a selection of my work, created on my foundation course, that I think best reflects my style, handwriting and quality of work. I have included pieces of life drawing, observational work and experimentation which I think displays my illustrative style and colour usage. I have also shown a collection of work from a couple of projects, which show how I like to develop ideas. For example, in the trapped project I made a paper sculpture inspired by an exhibition I saw in London, before turning this into a repeat print which later became a paper cut stencil. The sketchbook pages demonstrate the presentation style I enjoy, with textile samples layered up with research images and sketches. I also think collaborative work and competitions outside of college are important, so I have added a couple of my submissions to print companies and magazines.

I have always been interested in textiles design, but it is the graphic qualities of print and embroidery that I adore the most. I enjoy the technical side of textiles and the actual manufacture but I also love being able to draw from so many different disciplines when creating a design, such as photography or multimedia. What I love the most about textiles is how it can have so many applications, from interiors to fashion - the fact that your 2D piece of fabric can be taken into a 3D garment is so exciting.

So I was really pleased when I found out that embroidery and textiles design for fashion had been combined to create one course. Looking at the website, talking to ex-students and visiting on open days made it clear that there are amazing facilities and opportunities available on this course. I was impressed by the standard of work created by students, and the general style that came across, strongly emphasising print and illustration, closely reflected the handwriting that I aspire to and try to reach within my own work. I feel that my work would strongly develop on this course and I would leave totally prepared for a career in textiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment